Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Week in Summary






The past week has flown by and here are a few tidbits from it:



On Thursday I met my friend Katie at her house at 5:30 am for a jog. She came out and had a look of shock on her face and told me to come in. It turns out that a baby had been delivered in the room next to her's at 4:00 am that morning. Her host mom is a midwife and had delivered a healthy baby boy that morning. Her host mom invited us into the room where the mother and baby were recuperating. The mother was on the floor and seemed to be in absolute shock, not only from the birth but I imagine from seeing two gringos enter the room less than 2 hours later. The baby was doing well, he was covered in black hair and very cute. They said he was born like Superman, one arm coming out first, but he and the mother were doing fine. It was pretty amazing and definitely not I was expecting for my Thursday morning.



On Sunday, a group of 15 of us climbed Volcan Pacaya. It was a good hike and at the top we roasted marshmallows in the lava. Believe it or not, the lava was extremely warm. Who would have thought? I only got a few pictures, as I had planned to snap photos on the way down, but that was not possible as some clouds had moved in. Above are some pictures of the hike up and me standing by the lava. Pretty wild.

Yesterday I had a surprise while in Guatemala City. We were taking a taxi to the Embassy to see where it is located (closed for Labor Day) and I saw a car with a license plate bracket that said Bishop Kelly Knights. I didn't have my camera, but I was pretty surprised to see that down here.

That is all for now.