Thursday, February 19, 2009

Below the belt

Sometimes here in Guatemala, you encounter challenges in places where you would never expect them. Recently I was in Katie's site, walking to her house along a path that is just a dirt trail in a maze of corn fields or what was a maze of cornfields now that it has been harvested. As I am walking along, I pass a house with a young man and a few kids standing outside, I greet them and continue walking. As I am passing the door to their home, a little guy no older than 4 comes storming out with an angry look on his face. I think nothing of it, move a bit on the trail for him to pass and just as he is passing me he reaches out with his tiny little fist and punches me. In the balls. Luckily there was not a whole lot of force behind this fist, but still the audacity that this little tyke had shocked me. I was honestly speechless, I looked back in amazement as he continued his march of terror down the path and just continued walking towards Katie's house. Needless to say, I am going to keep my guard up and approach all Guatemalan children with caution from here on out.