Friday, June 19, 2009

Rough Commute

One of the many things I appreciate about Guatemala is the simplicity of it. Although there have been more than a few instances when I have wished that I could hop in my own car and make haste for the next destination, it is nice being able to take the time to stroll at a leisurely pace as I make my way to work...or anywhere really. This dawned on me as I was taking a route to a small village where I work with the school, about a half hour walk I make once or twice a week. I imagine that this commute will probably be the one by which all others are measured throughout my lifetime and none of them will compare.  Take a look...


The trail begins here, about a five minute walk from my front door. 

Rush hour traffic can really be overwhelming at times. 


 A creek for me to cross, which I have only fallen into once. 

A nice meadow along the trail. 

Young corn growing on a hillside. 

This is what most of the trail looks like, nicely shaded. 

Buena vista. 

The trail to the left is my path.  

As the rainy season technically began in May, but seems to have begun officially in the last couple days, everything is nice and green. 

The road to the village. 

View from the village looking east.